Cancer is a battle no woman wants to fight.
But when it happens, the women’s cancer experts at Ballad Health stand ready to provide quality medical services and support, allowing patients and their families to focus on the most important thing – beating the disease.
Ballad Health provides the following cancer care services for women:
- Twelve cancer diagnostic centers for women are conveniently located throughout East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. All have private settings for screenings and state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment.
- Dedicated breast centers in Kingsport, Johnson City and Bristol, holding accreditations from the American College of Radiologists as Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence.
- Seamless access to the region’s genetic testing service, which includes analysis of breast and ovarian cancer risk.
- Cancer navigators, available to breast cancer patients from diagnosis through treatments to help with all aspects of cancer care.
- Five cancer care facilities in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia that offer conveniently located cancer treatment centers for patients throughout the region.
- Dedicated women’s oncology services medical practice, where our physicians and providers have specialized training and expertise in cancers of the breasts, ovaries and uterus.
Fight cancer early with regular screenings
We’re fighting cancer by women’s sides, and our first weapons are routine screenings.
Ballad Health’s obstetricians and gynecologists are some of your most important allies, providing annual Pap smears and breast exams, as well as follow-up testing for early signs and symptoms of cancer. If further diagnostics are needed, Ballad Health’s imaging facilities are professionally staffed with multispecialty, board-certified radiologists, registered technologists and registered nurses.
Our trained professionals offer referring physicians and patients premier services utilizing top-quality imaging equipment with a focus on patient-centered care through services such as:
- Mammography, including digital mammography, 3-D mammography and computer-aided detection (CAD) options
- MRI of the breast and guided breast biopsy
- Stereotactic breast biopsy
- Breast ultrasound
- Genetic testing for breast and ovarian cancer risk
REMEMBER: The best way to beat cancer is early detection.
Get the care you need
Cancer is a scary thing to face, but we’ll guide you on this journey with an experienced team of specialists, state-of-the-art facilities and technology and a team that supports patients and families with kindness and encouragement.
Ballad Health’s cancer care centers are dedicated to outpatient oncology care. We provide medical oncology and radiation oncology services, including diagnostic radiology and laboratory services. Our patients also have access to cancer education and screening programs, as well as cancer support groups.
Expert physician partners
Specializing in gynecologic and breast cancer treatment, the physicians and providers of Wellmont Medical Associates Women’s Cancer Services are trained in obstetrics and gynecology and have additional training in gynecologic cancers.
They combine knowledge of women’s healthcare with expertise in detecting and treating cancers of the reproductive system. Our women’s cancer experts also work closely with other specialists to provide a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to treating cancer in women and girls.
No one fights cancer alone
Ballad Health cancer care has a team of experienced physicians, nurses, dietitians and other medical professionals with a range of expertise covering all areas of cancer care, including radiation oncology and medical oncology. Our specialists follow a team approach to patient care by holding regular conferences to discuss individual patient cases. This collaboration draws together the collective wisdom of the whole team, so our patients receive the best possible treatment.
Cancer navigators: here to guide you through your cancer journey
Cancer treatment isn’t easy. In addition to the physical and emotional stress, there’s also a lot to keep up with – like educating yourself about your diagnosis, learning about your treatment options and keeping up with medications, appointments, insurance and payments.
It can be overwhelming, but Ballad Health cancer care offers cancer navigators for breast and lung cancer patients, so they’ll have someone to guide them through this difficult journey.
From the initial diagnosis through doctor visits, surgery and other treatments, nurse navigators are here to help. They can assist with all aspects of cancer care, from helping you make an informed decision, communicating with doctors or just providing a shoulder to lean on.
Meet Amy, just one of our cancer navigators
Amy Verble, RN: “I feel such a great sense of joy as I see patients make it to the end of their treatment. I feel blessed that I’m able to be alongside the amazing patients I encounter on a daily basis. Each of them touches my life in a very special way. I’ve had two close family members who’ve battled cancer and I was there with them as they went through their treatments, so I know how hard it can be for patients and families. I’ve seen both sides of it, and that motivates me, that need for someone to be there, for someone to listen to you and be your voice.”
Fight cancer, close to home
Wherever you are in Northeast Tennessee or Southwest Virginia, you’re near a Ballad Health cancer treatment center.
- Christine LaGuardia Phillips Cancer Center, Holston Valley Medical Center, Kingsport
- Johnson City Medical Center Medical Oncology, Johnson City Medical Center Radiation Therapy
- Indian Path Medical Center, Kingsport
- J.D. and Lorraine Nicewonder Cancer Center, Bristol Regional Medical Center
- WMA Oncology & Hematology, Johnson City
- WMA Oncology & Hematology, Kingsport
- Sycamore Shoals Hospital, Elizabethton
- Ballad Health Cancer Care, Lebanon
- Johnston Memorial Hospital, Abingdon
- Southwest Virginia Cancer Center, Norton
- Smyth County Community Hospital, Marion
- Cancer Care, Bristol on Island Road
How do I get started?
Ballad Health makes it easy to learn more or to schedule an appointment near you.
- Contact one of our local specialist offices directly to schedule an available appointment. Select from the list of providers on this page to find the office number.
- Call Nurse Connect at 1-877-230-NURSE any time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for help with medical questions, specialist referrals and available resources.
- Talk to your primary care provider. He or she can help you determine your best way forward, as well as provide a referral and assist with scheduling specialist appointments.